Since 1987, Mitie’s 68,000 employees, have been serving companies and communities across the world. We’re the UK’s leading facilities management company. Our clients range from banks to retailers, hospitals to schools, and critical government sites. We make a positive difference to millions of people, every day, and we’re very proud of this. Join us and together there’s no limit to what we can achieve.
The main duty of the PM is to be able to pro-active and self-sufficient in the management of all aspects of project development and delivery for projects in the property sector, including fabric and M & E works of a value from £ 10K up to over £ 1M.
The role is generally described below, but may expand or reduce depending on the scale of the project involved. The PM may be working with another PM or alone depending on the scale of the project. Whilst officially based from Mitie’s Rutherglen office, the role will involve travel; the PM will be expected to manage their time, projects and place of work to be most productive in the use of their time.
Enquiry / Briefing stage
· Carry out project briefing process, with client, consultants and contractors
· Develop scope of works, outline budget, programme and fee proposals
· Development of Project initiation Plan and Project Execution Plans
· Manage the full design development process including
· all client engagement
· consultant design team management
· co-ordination of all meetings
· Update all Project Documentation including, budget, programmes, risk registers and any other PM documentation
· Understanding of statutory consents, building warrant, Planning and landlord approvals
· Understanding and ability perform roles under CDM regulations.
· Development of scope of works for tender purposes
· Development of tender packs
· Awareness of tender process
· Tender analysis and recommendations
· Value engineering process
· Forward billing analysis
Mobilisation and constructions phase
· Contractor appointments
· Purchase Order and contracts
· Pre-start meeting
· Construction Phase Plans, Risk Assessments and Method statements
· Mobilisation and lead time planning
· Site meetings, and H & S inspections
· Client engagment at all stages of consultation
· Variations / Valuations / change control
Practical Completion, Handover and snagging
· Practical Completion process
· Operating & maintenance manuals
· H & S file
As well as the general Project Management duties above, the successful candidate will be expected to support the growth and improvement of the team by becoming involved / supporting and / or leading in the below areas:-
· Able to drive project delivery at all stages of project life
· Ensuring all project files are fully up to date and all project admin is maintained and monitored
· Monthly billing cycle for project billing and contractor invoicing is adhered to, so that project finances are always balanced within the Profit and Loss accounts.
· Forecast project spend throughout full project lifecycle
· Carry out formal weekly updates with other Project ops team, QS, Co-ordinators and Management team
· All stakeholders are pro-actively and regularly kept up to date on all project developments, without needing to be chased for info.
· Support the growth of the Projects Scotland team, by assisting with tender submissions outside of core Mitie contracts, and where necessary attending presentations, site surveys, meetings or other works that may be needed to secure project opportunities.
· Supporting wider accounts on Forward Maintenance and Risk Registers to identify project opportunities and present proposals to clients
· Support with developing the base PM processes and procedures of the team to improve the quality of service and delivery
· To operationally and financially ensure project delivery within budget and on programme
· To forecast and manage all project risks through Risk Register
· Follow established project process and procedure at all times
· Attendance on HR related courses to ensure competence in dealing with people management responsibilities
· Placing orders and ensuring sub-contractors are managed safely and efficiently.
· Effective delivery of any electrical, mechanical, building fabric or any other associated project works.
· Liaise with client representatives and Contract Managers, to ensure that all works are completed within agreed timescales.
· Undertake, where necessary, site safety, method statements, risk assessments and site inspections in line with MITIE Procedures.
· To raise purchase orders, in line with company procedures, where applicable
· To understand and complete all work related documentation accurately and on time
· To understand and comply with policies and procedures
· To carry out work in a safe and diligent manner
· To comply with all Health and Safety policies and procedures
· To attend and fully participate in training and appraisal activities as required for projects role
· To undertake additional duties in line with capabilities as required
To meet the high expectations of our demanding customer base and internal colleagues, we are looking for candidates who are ambitious, entrepreneurial and confident in themselves and their (current) abilities, rather than just a conventional construction or fit-out project manager.
The candidate could come from a variety of backgrounds; from commercial fit-out or consulting back-ground, through to design or workspace change. The candidate could have qualification in Project Management or Building Surveying, or indeed have come to project Management through an associated design or construction career. These are all equally valid; however it is the candidate’s Project and Project Management experience that is key, along with their approach and aptitude to their work.
Our PM’s need to understand and demonstrate excellent customer services, and ability proactively drive projects forward. Not relying on general project momentum to move a project forward.
The candidate need to be creative and think innovatively about how we can improve as a team in the way we and our contractors work; be pro-active, empowered, energetic, assertive and commercially savvy with a heap of initiative and keen to drive themselves and us forward.
· Graduate calibre in construction related Project Management qualification ( or appropriate time served track record in field or an associated field such as Design, , Surveying, Property Management, Architecture, Construction or Engineering )
· Professional Qualifications or accreditations, RICS, APM or other accreditations helpful but not essential.
· Prince 2, SMSTS, CDM in practice, and other Project Management related qualifications, skills and experience a benefit, but not essential
· Knowledge of working with CAD plans, sections and other technical information essential
· Full Computer literacy, particularly with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Project
· Familiarity of Building Regulations, Planning consents and Landlord approval and statutory consent processes
· Understanding of tender processes, and compilation of tender development
· Understanding of project cost and change control processes.
· Basic estimating principles
· Able to demonstrate experience actively managing the delivery of projects in the property sector
· Strong Client and Customer focus, and diplomacy skills.
· Evidence of performance management, ambition and drive
· Able to demonstrate an excellent level of written and oral communication skills.
· Evidence of a proven track record of delivery of projects.
· Experience within Facilities services sector benefitial but by no means essential
· Able to work out of hours to support project delivery needs as necessary.
· Able to drive fairly long distances around Scotland, and occasional overnight stays away from home as project delivery requires
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.