The Sparrows Group is a specialist lifting and mechanical handling contractor that delivers equipment, technology and integrated engineering services to the global energy industry. Our solutions support our clients to optimise their efficiency by ensuring the performance, reliability and safety of critical equipment and people.
With our headquarters in Aberdeen, we employ over 1,600 people across numerous operational locations across the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
We are looking for a Commercial Focal Point to join our Team at Sparrows in Aberdeen.
The main responsibility of the Commercial Focal Point is to optimise the revenue and margin opportunity within the Engineering Services team through effective Commercial and Working Capital management. The Commercial Focal Point’s role is to safeguard the integrity of the business they are assigned to through compliance with relevant processes, procedures and guidelines of Sparrows Management System (SIMS) and the provision of cost management and reporting across a range of projects. This role will require timely coordination/submission/tracking and receipt of Purchase/Variation Orders, and the management of WIP and Debt to achieve the company Working Capital targets. Communicating and liaising with the project team and end Client to deliver internal and external expectations to a high standard will also be a requirement.
About this role Financial Control• Liaise with project management, engineering, commercial and finance teams to provide an effective cost control service in support of key business projects.
• Implement, administer, maintain and update cost control systems and processes to track project budgets, commitments, expenditures and forecasts.
• Develop project specific reports and analysis for inclusion within weekly and monthly reports and deliver information to Senior Management.
• Review and manage costs in conjunction with the Stage of Completion of the Projects.
• Establish a good knowledge of the key areas of projects and contracts applicable for the role.
• Monitor budgets, costs and cash flow relating to all 3rd party commitments.
• Extract data from various sources and reconcile it to suit operational needs.
• Identify and highlight any coding anomalies, cost overruns, and any potential trends
• Provide support to the change management process and ensure Variations are managed effectively and tracked.
• Highlight in a timely manner any areas of concern for potential cost overrun or under-spend, recommend actions or solutions where possible with the aim of maintaining budget position.
• Attend (and lead where applicable) internal project meetings and support any cost reporting for clients
• Interface and meet with clients as required for the role.
• Assist in contract/project close-out activities.
• To manage Purchase/Variation Orders, i.e. prepare, submit to client, receive PO/VO
• Contribute to quarterly performance reviews with line management regarding the department’s services to enable accurate review of business unit performance
• Promote understanding and accountability to Engineers to deliver improved commercial control of individual projects and contract deliverables
• Assist with commercial delivery of contract and project proposals to deliver projects in line with budget and company expectational margins.Business Administration• Provide an administration and commercial support function to the business unit for all service area activities
• Working closely with project accountants and finance team to deliver joined up approach to improve overall commercial control of the contract
• Development and management of a full commercial Project delivery plan for all projects, and issues on the contract.Commercial Function• Major function is to provide a comprehensive Commercial Focal Point function within the establishment, encompassing, but not limited to, the following:
• Administration of assigned commercial projects
• Liaison with clients and subcontractors
• Preparation of engineering invoice drafts and financial control of assigned projects
• Development of action plan to deliver improved commercial control
• Development of contract team to increase their knowledge of commercial understanding.Development• The incumbent must adopt a co-operative attitude towards being assigned alternative or additional duties to that which they are primarily employed.
HSEQ Responsibilities • It is mandatory that the incumbent is familiar with, and follows the Company’s Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Management System and takes an active part in the compliance and improvement of the Management Systems.
• The incumbent must report any accidents, incidents, near misses, actual or potential problems with products, services or systems according to the Management System processes/procedures.
• The incumbent also has legal responsibilities under country-specific health, safety and/or environmental legislation to follow these.
• The incumbent is also responsible for the health and safety arrangements of subordinates (if any) and for any persons visiting them while on the Company premises.
Qualifications & Experience • Previous experience of a lead role in cost management and control in onshore and offshore oil and gas projects
• Fundamental knowledge of Stage of Completion Revenue Recognition, and experience of managing SOC, Fixed Price, and Time & Materials projects
• Team Player
• Self-starter with meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage conflicting priorities
• Commercial/Financial background, previous experience in a similar role in the O&G or manufacturing Industry
• HNC/HND in Finance/Business Management would be advantageous
• Team organisation experience
• Good communication skills
• MS Office with strong Excel skills.
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.